Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Bexhill-on-Sea
Contact: For all enquiries please contact Email: email@example.com Tel: 01424 787813
The Chairman was authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 16 December 2019 as a correct record of the proceedings.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence had been received from District Councillors R.K. Bird, Mrs S. Hart and J.M. Johnson.
Disclosure of Interest
To receive any disclosure by Members of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in matters on the agenda, the nature of any interest and whether the Member regards the personal interest as prejudicial under the terms of the Code of Conduct. Members are reminded of the need to repeat their declaration immediately prior to the commencement of the item in question.
There were no disclosures of interest made.
With sadness, the Chairman reported that two former Councillors, namely Jill Theis who served on the Council between 1983 and 1999 and David Amies who served on the Council between 1995 and 1999 had recently passed away. Councillor Prochak paid tribute to both former Councillors, having worked with them both when they had served on the Council.
The Chairman also advised that he had attended the following events:
1) a business and community luncheon at St Leonards-on-Sea, hosted by Lord Brett McLean;
2) the institution and induction of the Reverend Duckett at Battle;
3) the High Sheriff’s private charity performance at Polegate that was attended by the Vice-Chairman, Councillor Drayson;
4) the opening of the Pétanque Court on the seafront at Bexhill-on-Sea;
5) the Vice-Chairman had attended the Bexhill Choral Society’s Autumn Concert;
6) the Mayor of Bexhill-on-Sea’s Civic Service;
7) the Judges Service at Lewes; and
8) a Remembrance Day service at Rye.
Member Question Time
1. Pursuant to Paragraph 11 of the Council Procedure Rules the following question was put by Councillor J. Barnes and answered by Councillor Oliver.
Question: What provision has been made in the budget for electrical charging points for electric vehicles and what progress are we making for installing them in Rother?
Answer: This is work being carried forward by the Climate Change Steering Group that has been brought together for their consideration; once they have concluded the work that has been set for them to do.
Supplementary Oral Question: I am aware that the officers have received certain offers I think from people who are willing to co-operate with us on this – does the Climate Change Steering Group have the powers to take this forward or will we have to come back to Cabinet?
Answer: Once the Climate Change Steering Group have come to their conclusion they will, along with officers, report back accordingly.
2. Pursuant to Paragraph 11 of the Council Procedure Rules the following question was put by Councillor Mrs Kirby-Green and answered by Councillor Oliver.
Question: Can the Leader of the Council give us an update on the voluntary redundancy process please?
Answer: I have asked the same question and I have not got an answer yet myself.
Supplementary Oral Question: Please can I have reassurance that no senior members of staff will be leaving with a large amount of expertise which could lead to a loss of resilience which would affect the Council.
Answer: This work is still being concluded by service managers as to the identification of key staff, a number of staff put themselves forward, one or two have since retracted their wishes; the outcome of this work I am not aware of yet, but I understand this information will be made available quite shortly.
3. Pursuant to Paragraph 11 of the Council Procedure Rules the following question was put by Councillor Maynard and answered by Councillor Oliver.
Question: The Leader of the Council will be aware that I enjoy frequent exchanges on social media and that is the reason for asking this question as something came up which I believe may have applied to all Councillors but this was denied by Labour Councillors. So my specific question to the Leader of the Council is has he asked Members of the independent group to sign non-disclosure agreements?
Answer: I believe there has been a communication from the Monitoring Officer with regard to disclosure how one should be dealing with enquiries around the Community Governance Review.
Question: That is not the question I asked – has he asked Members of his own Group to sign a non-disclosure agreement?
Answer: The answer to that is no.
13 January 2020
Ø The Progression Of The Rother District Public Realm Strategic Framework (CB19/81)
Ø South East Charter For Elected Member Development (CB19/82)
10 February 2020
Ø Housing Allocation Policy (CB19/90)
Ø Draft Revenue Budget Proposals 2020/21 (CB19/91) (See Agenda Item 9)
Ø Capital Programme 2020/21 To 2024/25 Capital Strategy (CB19/92)
Ø Treasury Management Strategy Statement And Annual Investment Strategy (CB19/93)
Ø Camber Western Car Park Management (CB19/94)
1. It was moved by Councillor Oliver and seconded that the reports of the meetings of the Cabinet held on 13 January and 10 February 2020, as set out in the Agenda be approved and adopted with the exception of Minute CB19/91 which would be considered at Agenda Item 9.
2. The Chairman of the Council having called over the reports none of the Minutes were reserved for discussion.
3. On the Motion of the Chairman of the Council, duly seconded, the Council approved, adopted and received the following reports:
CB19/82 - South East Charter for Elected Member Development
CB19/92 - Capital Programme 2020/21 to 2024/25 Capital Strategy
CB19/93 - Treasury Management Strategy Statement and Annual Investment Strategy
CB19/94 - Camber Western Car Park Management
Report of the Head of Paid Service on Decisions Taken by Cabinet as Matters of Urgency
In accordance with paragraph 17a of the Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules and paragraph 4 of the Budget and Policy Framework Procedure Rules, of any urgent decisions taken at the Cabinet meetings held on 13 January and 10 February 2020.
It was moved by Councillor Oliver and seconded that it be noted that there were no executive decisions taken by Cabinet as matters of urgency at its meetings held 13 January and 10 February 2020.
RESOLVED: That the report of the Executive Director be received.
To consider and if thought fit, to pass a resolution in the terms set out in the report. In accordance with Council Procedure Rule 17.5 (b) a recorded vote will be taken on this matter.
CB19/91 – DRAFT REVENUE BUDGET PROPOSALS 2020-2021
It was moved by Councillor Oliver, seconded and agreed that Council Procedure Rules 14.4 (content and length of speeches) and 14.5 (when a Member may speak again) be waived for the duration of this item.
It was moved by Councillor Oliver and seconded by Councillor Prochak that the formal Council Tax Resolution at Appendix A to the report be approved and adopted and Minute CB19/91 from the Cabinet meeting held on 10 February 2020 be received.
In accordance with Council Procedure Rule 17.5(b) a vote by roll call for the Motion was taken.
FOR the Motion (30): Mrs M.L. Barnes, Mrs C.A. Bayliss, J.H.F. Brewerton, G.S. Browne, T.J.C. Byrne, C.A. Clark, S.J. Coleman, Mrs V. Cook, P.C. Courtel, K.P. Dixon, B.J. Drayson, Mrs D.C. Earl-Williams, S.J. Errington, K.M. Field, P.J. Gray, K.M. Harmer, A.K. Jeeawon, Mrs E.M. Kirby-Green, L.M. Langlands, C.A. Madeley, A.S. Mier, M. Mooney, Rev. H.J. Norton, D.B. Oliver, P.N. Osborne, S.M. Prochak, G.F. Stevens, R. Thomas, H.L. Timpe and J. Vine-Hall.
ABSTENTIONS (4): J. Barnes, J.J. Carroll, T. Ganly, C.R. Maynard.
The Motion being put forward was declared CARRIED.
1. (a) Council approves the Rother District Council General Fund Council Tax Requirement of £7,018,739 for 2020/21 and the resultant Band D tax of £184.10.
(b) The expenses incurred by the Council, set out in the minutes of the Cabinet of 10 February 2020 in the sum of £624,080 in respect of Bexhill and £62,680 in respect of Rye, be approved as the Special Expenses chargeable to residents of Bexhill and Rye respectively. All other expenses incurred by the Council (excluding Parish Precepts) be approved as general expenditure for the purposes of section 35 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. (This resolution will be reviewed annually).
2. That it be noted, the following amounts for the year 2020/21 in accordance with Regulation 3 of the Local Authorities (Calculation of Tax Base) Regulations 1992, made under section 33 (5) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992:-
(a) 38,124.6 being the amount calculated by the Council in accordance with Regulation 3 of the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) Regulations 2012, as its Council Tax base for the year.
being the amounts calculated by the Council in accordance with Regulation 6 of the Regulations, as the amounts of its Council Tax base for the year for dwellings in those parts of its area to which one or more special items relate.
3. That the following amounts be now calculated by the Council for the year 2020/21 ... view the full minutes text for item C19/71.
Nominations Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Council 2020-21
(In accordance with normal practice, this process is intended to determine the names to be put forward at the Annual Council Meeting).
Nominations were received for the appointment of Councillor Drayson as Chairman and Councillor Mier for Vice-Chairman respectively of the Council for the Council Year 2020/21.
RESOLVED: That the names of Councillors Drayson and Mier be presented to the Annual Meeting of the Council for appointment respectively as Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Council for the Council Year 2020/21.